Wednesday, October 31, 2012

farewell, american conveniences

image via

so long starbucks--there are none on the island. not oneee. there is, however, a cafe in town called barefoot buddha which may or may not be better! ;)

dear driving, i hope i don't forget how to do you... ha! i almost forgot how after 4 months in London. lets see what happens after 6 months on an island. because even if I could afford to buy a car here, I'd crash it trying to drive down a hill on the left side of the road. walking, hitch hiking, and buses are the ways to go!

air-conditioning... rest in peace. even though i have a little ac unit in my condo, no way can I afford you. (energy bills are triple on the island). my ceiling fan is my new best friend.

elevators? what's an elevator? we islanders prefer steep steps and hills so high that you begin to wonder if they ever end. why? because we're probably already sweating anyway.

voting! islanders can't vote for president even though St Thomas is a US territory. and I couldn't register in any state, so I'm out too. that means YOU have to vote in honor of us!

i'll miss you, orange juice. you're on the island but you're basically juice's version of gold. at $9 a carton, you're a luxury.

beer--you're, also pricey but I'm not giving you up. you look so good in the sand next to me ;)


2 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

so exciting!! and so crazy at the same time... i don't know how you'll live without ac... i am such a baby when it come to excess heat

Morgan said...

SO awesome. I'm jealous of you island living...but I also do enjoy my ac :) But you know, I'd definitely give it up for the adventure you're one! Love your blog.

Morg @ morgan-alexandra.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...